Re: Antivirus for CLI

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Alberto Fuentes
<alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 08:50 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> a newbie question.
>> i am using Debian for providing server level services (non desktop)
>> and i am using only CLI for managing the services further more i am
>> using SAMBA, SQUID, Virtualization KVM  and Planning for MTA. do you
>> guys think i need an Antivirus for server side virus protection?
>>
>> We are using Nod32 and i found out that they have a software for GUI
>> only. i couldn't find CLI base client.
>>
>> any help would be appropriated.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> MYK
>>

> well, for the servers dont really need antivirus protection (how many
> programs from unknow sources are you using?). You can run clamav for mail

none, i am using  supporting services Ethtool, smartctl, FTPD  or very
common type of utilities . thats all and of course the core
application for providing the main services like SAMBA and SQUID

> attachments and samba shares to protect your users.
>
> You can run some nids/ids or honeypot to mitigate attacks on the server

any experience advice and easy to manage nids/ids or honeypot?