Configuration Design for Installation, Maintenance and Upgrades

I would like to learn if there is a tool or method to help define what
values configuration parameters should have.  I have seen short
descriptions of parameters but not much as to the impact or how any
values may impact other parameters.

It would be very hand to have an animated map that would allow the
selection of a parameter and display highlights for all associated
parameters.

I have not been able to keep all the relationships in my head, such a
tool would be very helpful.

Is there such a thing or some other solution to managing configuration?

Thanks,
ray