Re: gns3 on amd64

On 2012-06-18 17:07 +0200, Slavko wrote:

> i was inspired by the wine-bin thread and i want to remove the dynamips
> package, which is not available on the amd64 architecture (only for i386
> now). I am using this package as the dependency of the gns3 package. First
> i removed both, the gns3 and dynamips, packages and then i was add the
> i386 architecture by:
>
> dpkg --add-architecture i386
>
> after this i updated the apt sources by
>
> aptitude update
>
> The couple of new packages in aptitude is result and now i see the
> dynamips package:
>
> LANG=C aptitude search dynamips
> p   dynamips:i386   - Cisco 7200/3600/3725/3745/2600/1700 Router Emulator
>
> Then i try to install the gns3 package, but without success:
>
> LANG=C aptitude install gns3
>   gns3{b}
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 3855 kB of archives. After unpacking 18.5 MB will be used.
>  gns3 : Depends: dynamips (>= 0.2.7-0.2.8RC1) which is a virtual package.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> The gns3 package (in aptitude) depends on the dynamips package, which is
> marked as unavailable and nothing about the dynamips:i386 in their
> dependencies. I tried to install the gns3:i386 too, but this package
> doesn't exists for me. Perhaps because it is marked for all architectures.

Indeed, there is only one gns3 package, because it is Architecture: all.

> I tried to install the dynamips first and then gns3, but without success
> too.
>
> Please, what i am doing wrong or what i forgot?

You're not doing anything wrong, you have just hit a limitation of
multiarch.  An Architecture: all package is treated like a package from
the native arch, and that means it can only depend on a foreign-arch
package if that package is marked "Multi-Arch: foreign".  See the
MultiArch spec[1].

You can solve your problem by building dynamips for amd64 from the
source package, or install the 0.2.7-0.2.8RC2-4 version from stable.

HTH,
    Sven

1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec#Dependencies_involving_Architecture:_all_packages