Debian 6.0.5 and loadlin

    I'm accustomed to running loadlin to launch different versions
of Linux from dos and it's worked dependably for me for many years.
I installed a copy of squeeze yesterday on a partition, copied the
kernel and initrd to C: and tried to boot into squeeze but it just
resets the computer. It's a P3 system w/ Intel mobo and 512MB ram.
I've used both these commands with the same result:
    loadlin vmlinuz.d60 root=/dev/sdb5 rw
    loadlin vmlinuz.d60 root=/dev/sdb5 rw init=initrd.d60

    Is there some reason the squeeze kernel won't run from loadlin
or is it the more likely scenario that I've goofed up somewhere?
Thanks,
Mike
--
Satisfied user of Linux since 1997.