Re: Sid Synaptic authenticates with sudo

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 04:46:32 -0400
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 4:15 AM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:08:19 -0500
> > Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Synaptic has begun asking for my user password rather than the root
> >> password.  Why is this happening, and how do I make it stop?  I
> >> want only users with root privileges to use
> >> apt/aptitude/synaptic/gdebi/etc. and I want the original behavior
> >> restored.
> >>
> > The latest Synaptic starts differently:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/synaptic/0.75.12
> >
> > My menu entry has been changed to synaptic-pkexec and no longer
> > functions at all. Running synaptic-pkexec under sudo throws a GTK
> > fault, running it alone invokes an authentication dialogue which
> > does not accept my user password but does accept the root password
> > and then gives the same GTK error.
> >
> > I'm currently starting it with gksudo synaptic, when it requires my
> > user password. I'm hoping it will be fixed soon.

Yes, I found that, and the last section is the same as I quoted from the
Launchpad site. That bug appears to be considered fixed on 11th June,
the problem I'm having seems to be the result of the bugfix and began
about three days ago, with the 0.75.12 version of Synaptic.

I was only quoting the bugfix as a reference for the fact that Synaptic
launching had changed, I'm assuming my issue is actually with GTK, or
some obscure configuration of it, and the change of Synaptic has just
highlighted it.

--
Joe