Clobbered digest volumes (more info)

Looking closer at the problem, (see "Clobbered digest volumes" in Volume 2012 #1342) I find that I occasionally receive a correct message. The returns of my own are correct and some others. The bad messages all have the header information after the text and trigger the error message:
    Error: msgHdr.folder is null
    Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js
    Line: 2696
The ones received correctly have the header / text in the correct order and don't generate the error. It appears that icedove can't find the header information if it is in the reverse order. Duh!!.

So the question is why am I receiving messages with the order flipped???

I also note that the full (expanded) header is alway printed in both cases even though icedove header switch is set to normal.

Help

Gary R.