Re: mdadm error - superfluous RAID member

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Steve Dowe <sd@warpuniversal.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to re-use an older server, installing squeeze (6.0.5).  I'm using
> software RAID and LVM on the machine (details below).  But I must be doing
> something wrong with the disk set up stage in the installer, as when it
> boots I see an error flash up quickly:
>
>  error: superfluous RAID member (5 found)
>
> It appears that the initramfs then gets loaded, the RAID detection fails and
> it then looks for the LVM volume group, which it can't find (as the LVM
> group exists on the RAID device).

I don't believe you can boot from a striped volume (raid5 being a
stripe + parity).  I found some instructions that may allow this to
work but requires packing a non-standard initrd:

http://nil-techno.blogspot.com/2009/02/booting-fakeraid-raid5-linux-half-assed.html

--
Chris