Garbled X-Forwarding Over SSH

Hi!

This is an old issue I have been seeing for years. I thought I'd ask
about it, since I've finally got off my duff and asked another question
a few minutes ago.

In Debian testing with Xfce I notice that using

$ ssh -XC user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

will result in the first graphical application I launch in the session
having garbled icons on its toolbars, among other oddities. This is true
of gtk and qt apps. All I have to do to get a proper display of the
application, is to close it and restart it.

Here's the odd thing. If, on the client machine, I first log off, and
then log back on, the graphical aberration does not occur! In other
words, in one given operational session following a boot / reboot, I
have to log on / log off / log on, and then there's no trouble with the
forwarding of X apps over SSH.

I've confirmed this behavior to be the same on five different
installations of Debian testing, and it has been this way since Squeezy
was the new testing.

Ideas? Should I file a minor bug report against something? If so,
against what? I'm danged if it makes sense to me!

Thanks much,
Gilbert