Re: about installing lxde (which xserver)

Harry Putnam:

> I've recently done a tremendous amount of removing and purging.  I
> wanted rid of kde and finally to install lxde. And threw into the
> bargain moving from testing to stable.

Downgrading is unsupported and you should generally expect a lot of
trouble doing so.

…
…
> Note the nest of xservers involved.

There's just one X server, X.org. The list just contains a lot of
drivers for different video and input hardware. That's because lxde
depends on x-display-manager (or gdm3) and that depends on xserver-xorg
and that in turn depends on xserver-xorg-video-all and
xserver-xorg-input-all which pull in all those dependencies.

You don't really need to care about these packages. They take very
little disk space. If you want, you can remove the *-all packages, but
you will have to fiddle with apt(itude) to satisfy dependencies and, of
course, to keep the drivers installed which you actually use. Using
aptitude's interactive TUI mode is probably the easiest way.

BTW, 'aptitude why $packagename' tells you why it wants to have a
certain package installed.

> To an experienced debian user:
> Does this list look a little ridiculous?

Only superficially.  An ad-hoc one-liner to calculate the size of all
direct dependencies of xserver-xorg-video-all:

$ for p in $( apt-cache show xserver-xorg-video-all  | grep ^Depends | \
cut -d: -f2 | sed -e 's#,##g'); do apt-cache show $p | grep \
^Installed-Size | cut -d: -f2; done | awk ' BEGIN { s=0 } { s+=$1 } END
{ print s }'
7320

That's kiloBytes. The package xserver-xorg-input-all comes out at 517kB.

J.
--
If I could travel in time I would show my minidisc to the Romans and
become Caesar until the batteries ran out.