Re: postfix and hostname

On 08/06/12 13:52, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
Hi,

Running squeeze on my VPS, and using postfix/dovecot/cyrus as my MTA,
for a number of users, who pick up mail via IMAP (mostly Thunderbird).
Postfix is configured to accept mail for user@vanderhoff.org, as well as
a few other domains.

I don't know dovecot or cyris, but I too run postfix on my VPS.

The hostname for the server is set to vanderhoff.org.uk. This has been
running fine for a number of years, but I am rationalising my domains,
and want to change the hostname to vanderhoff.org. Nothing to do with
the MTA really, or so I thought.
When you mention changing the domain but not changing any config, I would think looking into postfix config is a good place to start.

I expected this to be as simple as editing /etc/hostname, and updating
the live hostname via the hostname command. I now have no mail coming
in. Changing the hostname back to the .uk version reverts operation to
normal.

So some misconfiguration somewhere, but I'm blowed if I can find it. Has
anyone any hints, please?

Have a check in the logs and see if you can see mail coming in and getting rejected:
  tail -f /var/log/mail.*

The location of postfix config files is likely to be different from mine so check in your postfix config
  cat /etc/postfix/main.cf

Do you use virtual_domains?? .. if so, ensure the domain is in the virtual domain file:
  vi /usr/local/postfix/etc/virtual_domains

What about mappings? .. you might need to alter and regenerate the db:
    vi /usr/local/postfix/etc/virtual_alias
    postmap /usr/local/postfix/etc/virtual_mailbox

If you make and changes, ensure you reload postfix:
   postfix reload

Not sure if that helps at all, but thought I'd chip in my 2pence worth :)

good luck,