Re: what did hwinfo do to my machine?

Dan B. wrote:

- maybe turn on BIOS logging and see if it catches any funniness during the pre-GRUB boot process

I haven't seen anything about "BIOS logging" in my BIOS's menus.  Is
it common?  It is known by any other names?

Award BIOS has an option under Advanced BIOS settings for "DMI Event Log." I know Phoenix BIOS also has the option, not sure where it is in the menus.