Re: Programs for direct friend-to-friend file transfer?

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 22:48:57 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
>> On Sb, 02 iun 12, 18:12:03, Brian wrote:
>> >
>> > There appears to be no advantage in using sshd in this situation. The
>> > idea of having to guide her through configuring a router and using ssh
>> > (on a Windows machine, incidentally) doesn't bear thinking about for one
>> > thing.
>>
>> 1. Why would the client have to configure the router?
>
> He doesn't, but I was trying not to nit-pick the post I replied to and
> concentrate instead on pointing out using ssh is a waste of time and
> effort in the circumstances as we know them.

That's just it.  Using anything *other* than ssh is a "waste of time
and effort" most of the time as ssh requires no setup and effort to
use out of the box not only in Debian but any modern Linux/Unix.
*Everything else* requires effort to setup and use.

The point, however, is that there is no file transfer method that
meets her requirements.

1. No dedicated server (no web, no sftp, no ftp, NFS, Samba, etc).
2. No usernames/logins (no sftp, scp, no ftp, etc, see above)
3. No chat protocols (no IM, no IRC)
4. No external 3rd party service (dropbox, etc)
5. No email (messages are too large).

There is no way to get a file from her machine to her friend's machine
without violating at least 1 or more of these requirements (at least
over a network).  All I can suggest is a USB stick/CD-R and postal
mail.

That said, there have been a number of suggestions towards modifying
the OP's requirements and I'm interested in seeing the reasoning
behind the requirements themselves.  Aubrey hasn't replied yet and I
think there's value in giving her an opportunity to respond, clarify
and perhaps narrow her requirements, and allow us to provide better
advice.  The fact is, with the requirements set as they are, there is
no possible solution (see below) to her problem.

(Yes, I did see someone suggest nc (possible alternative: socat).
While that *does* meet the OP's initial set of requirements, that's
not really much of a "solution"...) ;-)

--
Chris