Re: Web browser gets slow and blocks the system

On 05/30/2012 01:17 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:58:23 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Rodolfo Medina<rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>  writes:

Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com>  writes:
(...)

But why didn't the problem occur before in the past?  It has become
heavy only recently, and the machine is always the same.
I can't tell but your system can't be happy with 216 MB of ram and
running applications such as Iceweasel. Sooner or later it has to
break.
Is it possible that ram has decreased?  Now I noticed that the problem
also occurs running `scanimage'.  I don't remember it ever occurred in
the past!
RAM is always a scarce resource but it cannot physically dissapear ;-)

Anyway, reconsider your current running desktop and aplications; with
less than 512 MB of RAM your system will suffer from constant hicups now
and then if you try to use GNOME or KDE and the so called "big
browsers" (Firefox/Opera/Chrome...).

Just for you to get the idea, in my system (64-bits with 8 GiB of RAM),
Firefox takes "99 MiB" of real memory (now 101 MiB)... go figure.

My box was a low end bare bones system and came with only 256MB of RAM. That was quite a while ago. As it got loaded up and programs (like browsers) got larger it got slower and slower. It was amazing what adding a second stick with another 1GB did for system performance with no changes other than the addition of the RAM. Since then I have replaced the original 256MB sticj with another 1 GB stick, bringing my total to 2GB (the max for my current MB). This has made a world of difference!

Marc