Re (2): Header fields required for threading in lists.debian.org.

From:	Camaleon <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date:	Thu, 31 May 2012 16:25:20 +0000 (UTC)
> "http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=426149";
> Most probably my Pan version (0.132) still has that bug.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6 states,
"The only required header fields are the origination date field and
the originator address field(s).  All other header fields are
syntactically optional."

The troublesome case is to attempt one reply to multiple parent messages.
The syntax of References allows for a simple thread; not for a tree structure.
 Section 3.6.4. of rfc5322 states,
'...  trying to form a "References:" field for a reply that has multiple
parents is discouraged; how to do so is not defined in this document.'

A reasonable policy is to make a distinct reply for each relevant parent.
In the past I've violated this more than once.

You have demonstrated that the list manager threads correctly without
In-Reply-To.  So I say that Pan and the Debian list manager are OK
whereas mutt is in error to remove References.  To my understanding,
bug report 426149 has misinterpreted specifications.

Regards,         ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "