Re: how are you kids compiling kernels these days?

On 5/31/2012 12:37 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> $ apt-get source linux-???

"apt-get" downloads files from repositories.  "apt-cache search" looks
through your downloaded package lists to find matches to your search
criteria.  Put simply, you're using the wrong command.  Search, find the
one you want, then install.

> I'm typing every conceivable combination of those package names and
> still get nothing.
>
> $ apt-get source linux-image-amd64

> finds me some downloads, but they are for kernel 2.6.

That should return an error, such as this, on Squeeze:

~$ apt-get source linux-image-amd64
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

> This one is really frustrating.

Spend some time with "man aptitude".  Stop using the deprecated (mostly)
"apt-get" and related commands.  The problems you're experiencing right
now, confusing searching command with install commands, are one of the
reasons aptitude was created:  one package management command with
options and switches, instead of multiple commands for different functions.

> Is there a way to view which SOURCE packages are available in a Debian system?

Yes, as mentioned in my previous message, "aptitude search linux-source"

> On a RedHat style system, I'd go google the SRPM directory and know
> what to look for. In Debian, I still can't quite understand where "the
> source packages" are.

Because you're not yet familiar with the tools.  Again, "man aptitude".

--
Stan