Re: LVM, Resize failed (most mlikely user error)

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM,  <anobo@gmx.de> wrote:
> Dear Guys,
>
> I had the (wonderful?!) idea to resize my LVM.  The result is, that I can not access my /home anymore :-(.
>
> Environment:
> HP Mini, 160GB HDD
> 2 partitions (sda1, ext2, 254.99M, bootflag and sda2, 159784.29M)
> LVM initial setup:
> - root 300M
> - home 136G
> - var 2.8G
> - usr 4.6G
>
> During a dist upgrade, my /var went full and I started to do the following with the lvm commands:
> reduce /home to 100G,
> increase /var by +5G,
> increase /usr by +6G, and
> increase /root by 600M.
>
> After that the whole thing went mad.
>
> During boot it stops during fsck for /home with error 4 ("filesystem (according to superblock) is 36210688 blocks  The physical size of the device is 26249216" and "superblock or partition table is corrupt").  I can enter my root password and run a manual fsck with the same result.  If I do not abort I get "Error reading block 26279938 (invalid argument) while getting next inode from scan.  Ignore error?"
>
> My idea is to use the partition table to "fix" the lvm (i. e. return to the initial state).  Is this possible and how to do it?
>
> If you need any further information, I will provide asap.
>
> Thank you for your kind help.
>

> Best regards
>

> Andreas
> --
>

> --

Andreas,
When you shrink a logical volume  your first need to use your file
system tools (if they have them) to reduce the file system then use
the LVM tools to reduce the logical volume.  As always it's best to do
a back up of your data before you do anything.  At this point, if the
/home partition wan't full, you might be able to reduce the file
system and get it to boot again.

--
Shane D. Johnson
IT Administrator