Re: Debian 6.0 64 Bit : Putty

On 29/05/12 11:51, Matty H wrote:
> Hi, I've recently installed a VPS with Debian 6.0 64 bit.

You are vague.  Do you have Debian installed inside a VM or are you
trying to get out of a VM which is running on a Debian host?  I'm
assuming the former.  What virtual software are you using, i.e.
VirtualBox?  OpenVZ?  Xen?  I'm assuming VirtualBox.

> The server is fully capable to handle it, And for some reason when i try
> to go through putty, The connection times out ?

Where is your Putty running?  Outside or inside the VM?  On your host or
another machine?  Timing out is usually firewall or invalid address,
though it can be for many other reasons.

> Any ideas ?

I'm guessing you have a network configuration issue.  Possibly you need
to assign a network address to the interface on the virtual machine.

If you have Debian inside a VirtualBox and you are attempting to connect
using PuTTY from the outside - you will need to set the VirtualBox to
assign "bridge" mode in the Network settings for the ethernet card in
the VM settings.  The "host-only" mode in VirtualBox enables the VM and
the host to talk, but the VM will not be able to reach the wider network
outside the host.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=virtualbox+networking

I haven't used OpenVZ for a while, but you can read more here about
assigning IP addresses:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Basic_operations_in_OpenVZ_environment

If you have Xen, read more here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Configure_Networking