Improve leafnode

Leafnode on Debian uses a script do-fetch-news, which cron run
periodically, that checks the variable $NETWORK in
/etc/news/leafnode/debian-config. This variable can have two possible
values: "PPP" and "permanent".

I think that a third value is missing, we can call it "online". Useful
when leafnode runs on mobile devices for example.

Can you suggest me a brief way to improve it. I suppose I can insert a
script in /etc/network/if-up.d/ which checks when online and thes edits
/etc/news/leafnode/debian-config accordingly. I also noticed that exists
another script, network-test, that I can use for this. But I have one
questions:

1. I don't understand if to trigger a script putting it into
/etc/network/if-up.d/ is enough to run it when an interface goes up.

Any clue?
Thanks in advance.
--
   Un cinico e' uno che quando annusa i fiori cerca intorno la bara.
   		-- Russel Lynes