Re: Problem with Iceweasel and low-quality fonts

On Sun, 27 May 2012 03:55:30 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> In the Iceweasel preferences, I have the "Allow pages to choose their
> own fonts, instead of my selections above" option enabled. But the
> quality of the fonts is sometimes very low, a bit like bitmap fonts,
> without antialiasing.

Yes, I suffer for that every single day (for instance, "planet.gnome.org"
looks horrible with hinting enabled). I'm considering disabling that
option...

> For instance on http://www.allocine.fr/ see what I get on the image I've
> attached, for "A ne pas manquer". The FontFinder extension says:
>
> Font
> ===============================
> font-family (stack): Tahoma,Lucida,Arial,sans-serif
> Font being rendered: Tahoma
> font-size: 24px
>
> $ fc-match Tahoma
> Vera.ttf: "Bitstream Vera Sans" "Roman"
>
> which is actually my default font. So, where does the problem come from?

So you are rendering B. Vera Sans instead the original Tahoma but what's
the problem you see? Is it about the font face or about the rendering
(not being anti-aliased?)

Look, this is how it renders in my Firefox 12 with Tahoma (truetype font)
installed:

http://picpaste.com/font_sample-Q03hEudo.png

Which I find it perfect, I mean, I like how it looks.

> Note: I have a similar problem on some other pages, where the font is
> Helvetica. But this time:
>
> $ fc-match Helvetica
> helvR12-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz: "Helvetica" "Regular"
>
> which is a bitmap font. How can such bitmap fonts be disabled for the
> web browsers (only)?

I don't see what's the problem you want to correct. When it comes to
fonts what's good or bad is very subjective and user-dependant...

Anyway... what I had to did once in Firefox to get some rendering looking
"good" was creating a file in my home directory "~/.fonts.conf" with this
inside:

<fontconfig>
<alias binding="same">
<family>Helvetica</family>
<prefer>
<family>Arial</family>
</prefer>
</alias>
</fontconfig>

By doing that, I instructed Firefox to use Arial instead Helvetica but to
be sincere, I think the above file was created 4 years ago so despite
it's present, I don't know if it still makes any change :-?

Anyway,

Greetings,

--
Camaleón