Re: If you want to install stable released version

Ahoj,

Dňa Sat, 26 May 2012 21:26:09 -0400 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
napísal:

> I still do not fully understand the debian system of versioning at its
> relationship to the install isos.

Debian has three main "versions" (more precise: the Debian's distribution
or branch):

* stable - released after cca 2 years (more precise - after it is prepared)
* testing - is preparation of the next stable
* unstable/sid - is purely for testing and debian developing

The stable version is named stable, because there is minimum changes after
release (mostly only security updates). It is perfect solution for servers
and other production machines. Software is well tested.

The unstable is named unstable, because here are a lot of software
changes. The unstable is branch, where are new packages and they new
versions incoming. In this branch are most bug discovered and solved and is
not decided for production usage.

The testing release is branch, where are packages going after some time
period and when they without bugs of the certain level from unstable. Then
this branch is more stable (i mean software changes) and more bugfree than
unstable. In this branch are more another bugs discovered and solved
(because it has more users), then here are more bugs than in stable. This
branch is good for home usage, it has newest software versions than stable.

Some people are naming testing as rollover release, but this is not exact
term, because some time (cca 6 month) before new stable release it is
freezed - incoming new software versions from unstable to testing is
stopped and only bugfixes are accepted.

When new stable version is released, it simple mean that:

* the actual stable is renamed as oldstable
* the actual testing is renamed to stable
* the actual unstable is copied as new testing.

By this, the stable can point to different version of the Debian in time.
If one need point to exact one version of the Debian, the code name is
used. Actual stable is Squeeze, next stable will be Wheeze, etc :-)

You can read more about Debian:

* http://www.debian.org/distrib/
* http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing
* http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-ftparchives

> If I wanted a new system that was the stable released version, which
> install iso would I use?

Don't worry about this, most of the links from debian.org are pointing you
to stable release. I always have problem to find links to download new
testing CDs from debian page (when i have not direct link from
bookmarks) :-D

But if you want to be sure, actual stable has version number 6.0 (named as
squeeze) and latest security update for it is numbered as 6.0.5. IMO, all
official stable CD/DVD are named with version number + architecture name.
The architecture mostly will be i386 (intel 32b) or amd64 (intel 64b), but
there are another architectures too, then you can find one for you.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk