Motion M1400 tablet upgrade woe

I'm trying to upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy on a Motion M1400 tablet
and seem to have hit the wall.

Initially I had Squeeze installed, and I tried to upgrade via Synaptic
simply by changing the repositories from Squeeze-Updates to Wheezy,
reloading, then marking upgrades and applying.

This started ok but ran into a problem when I was told that the latest
686 kernel had bits that would not work on my single processor M1400.
I was informed that I needed to uninstall my 686 kernel and install a
486 kernel. Since there seemed to be no way of exiting the upgrade in
progress in order to achieve this, I shut the machine down after
deciding to reinstall from scratch.

Reinstalled Squeeze from a cd using expert install, and selecting the
486 kernel to be installed. All went well and I now had a working M1400
with Squeeze on it.

Then attempted via Synaptic to again upgrade to Wheezy by changing the
repositories from Squeeze-Updates to Wheezy. All went well and
indications were that 1,646 packages would be installed or upgraded, 36
removed, and one held back.

I reached as far as the "Installing and Removing Software" window and
the completion bar had reached about 60% completion when the entire
system froze up.

The last two entries seen in the terminal window at the point of
freezing were :

Setting up sudo (1.8.3p2.1)
Installing new version of config file /etc/pam.d/sudo

I've now spent several hours repeating this experience once more with
identical results and am becoming very frustrated.

Is anyone able to suggest the root of the problem or advise where I can
report the failure?

Thanks in advance.

--

Chris Dunn