Re: OT Seach for Elaborate Address Book Program

On Fri, 25 May 2012 14:45:26 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 04:17:52PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:39:08 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
>>
>> > I am planning to put a vast array of handwritten notes into some kind
>> > of order.  Notes include names and associated information -
>> > addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, spouse's name, childrens'
>> > names, boat names, birthdays, misc information.
>> >
>> > An elaborate address book?  An apt-cache search addressbook found
>> > several programs.  rubric seemed the closest to meeting my needs but
>> > there was an installation problem:
>> >
>> > Unpacking replacement rubrica ...
(...)
>> > it wont work.
>>
>> It "won't" work or it "does not" work? I mean, despite the warning, can
>> you run the application? :-?
>>
> I meant the application will not run.

What's the output when you launch it from command line? If it does not
work, you can report it.

>> > Any suggestions of other programs to consider?
>>
>> I use Thunderbird's addressbook to manage my contacts which can easily
>> handled (importing/exporting) by means of LDIF format. But if search
>> for a standalone application, how about "dlume"? Although I can't find
>> the site of the project, maybe it has been discontinued? :-?
>>
> I did checkout dlume which has multiple fields for phone numbers, email
> addresses and url's but much of my information would have to be dumped
> in the notes field.

Address books are not usually well suited for "extended" notes (even
Thunderbird's has a "small" notes field), well... Oulook did a good job
in this regard :-)

Anyway, beyond the integrated address books of the big PIM managers
(Thunderbird, Evolution and Kmail) I don't know of any standalone, off-
line and GUI based application though I would like to see a java-based
one...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón