Re: Dual head Intel i7-2600S and DQ67SWB3

Hello David,

David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> My goal is at least one monitor displaying during POST, GRUB, boot, and
> login,

I think you already achieved that?

> and then span mode 2 x 1600x1200 on the desktop.  The Nokia 445Xi
> can do 75 Hz and the 445XiPlus can do 87 Hz at that resolution, but I
> would settle for 75 Hz on both monitors.

That’s two calls to add the corresponding modes and two calls to set
these modes for each of the monitors, in total four lines in an
autostart script in your Gnome session.

> STFW I've posts about xrandr, but I'd prefer to get this working via
> CMOS settings, motherboard/ monitor connections, xorg.conf, and
> gnome-display-properties.   I'll play with xrandr in any case.

gnome-display-properties is mostly a front end to xrandr from what I
can tell, but it also allows you to add new modes (though you
obviously should make sure that your monitors support them).

I think CMOS settings mostly apply to the BIOS, GRUB and maybe boot,
but I have to admit I never really understood how the Linux kernel
decides where to show its virtual terminals.

Anyway, I fear I can’t really help you with CMOS and boot, and there
are certainly people who are more knowledgeable about xorg.conf on
this list. :)

Best regards,

Claudius
--