Re: why does control-4 generate SIGQUIT in X?

On Mon, 21 May 2012 18:28:55 -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:

> I recently noticed that when I hold the control key and press '4', it
> generates ^\, i.e. SIGQUIT.  This happens in both gnome-terminal and
> xterm, and on two different kinds of physical keyboards.  It doesn't
> happen outside of X, on just a linux VT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGQUIT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_signal

Ah, curious...

> It's pretty annoying in mutt, because I often need to type shift-4 for
> escape and typing control instead of shift kills the session.
>
> What kind of X keyboard mapping determines this behavior, and how can I
> change it?

Mmm... someone will confirm (or provide a better solution) but Google
points to 'stty quit ""' to disable the key shortcut.

> (Please CC me since I'm not subscribed to this list.)

Sorry, I can't :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón