Re: Waiting for xserver to begin looking for connections........

On Tue, 22 May 2012 05:44:43 +1200
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 06:15:30PM +1000, charlie wrote:
> > If I log in as root, all works as it should and the GUI starts as it
> > should.
>
> Does it look exactly the same as if you had logged in as yourself?

It does, just doesn't use the .xsession file to start the applications
I want as user.

> I just tried startx as root and amazingly I get a GUI. (Never used to,
> got a message about can't startx as root or something similar.)

I think that would depend if you allowed root to login when you
installed the system in the first instance? Can probably maniplate that
after the install I assume?

> But it looks completely different to the GUI I get when I startx as
> me. And yes I am running fvwm.

No, root is the same as user for me.

> > I have had this problem intermittently as user for some time. But
> > rebooting usually gets me back into the GUI after the startx
> > command.
>
> Now you can't startx as yourself permanently, it fails everytime?

It fails every time, and allows me to log in as root into the GUI
without problems.

> > I'm ready to reinstall, but maybe it can be fixed, if someone has
> > any ideas they would be appreciated.

The reinstall of the system with the Wheezy netinstall disk gives me
the same problem. Can startx with the GUI as root, but user presents a
black screen with the same command.

I have to use the US mirror, because I received an error from the AU
mirror, something to do with some packages have no headers or something?

I installed another WM, icewm and I have the same problem. Can get the
GUI with root, but black screen with user.

So it must be something in the /home directory, because that's the only
directory that I didn't format.

If it was in the software, it should stop me from bringing up the GUI
in root as well?

I might have to knock out the "." files in my /home directory one by
one to discover which one is giving me the problem?

> For a start, please post exact output of following commands.

I'll have to write these down by hand from the login terminal, but once
done I'll put them into this email.

> -------------
> ls -al .x*
>
> grep -v \^# .xsessionrc

I don't have one of the above, just .xsession should I have
an .xsessionrc?

> ls -al .fvwm/

> startx
>
> ---------------
> If the startx command gives a blank screen, try pressing alt-f7, or
> alt-f8  if no good. Does pressing ctrl-alt-f1 take you back to the
> console?

If I do that, for each keystroke applied I get the error message: no
protocol specified

> If you get back to the console copy and paste the output, it should be
> the results of you typing startx, if you typed startx from tty1

Using tty1 I can't get back out or in. Or I have no way of knowing how
to do that. so I shut it down at the turn on/off button.

> Once you are at a console, even if you have to reboot to get one:
> Type the following commands as root: (please copy 'n' paste exact
> output.
> ----------------------------------
> grep \(EE\) /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> lspci -vv | grep VGA

That I can do as root, and get a copy, because I'm in the GUI.

I will get it back to you. I have to get back to the other machine
first though.

Thanks for your time.

Charlie
--