Re: Has anyone successfully installed Cinnamon in Debian?

On Sat, 19 May 2012 18:34:45 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> What with one thing and another, my GNOME 3 will only run in fallback
> mode (GNOME Classic), and I have been looking at alternatives.

And you are not interested in getting gnome-shell to work?

> There are things to like about Xfce, LXDE, MATE, and others, but I have
> not heard of anyone trying Cinnamon.

Maybe because it has not been packaged (yet) for Debian and people is
reluctant to give it a try fearing a total mess :-)

> One issue seems to be the version of Clutter that is installed.  Any
> workarounds if the version I have is too recent?
>
> Any other issues I need to know about?
>
> The Ubuntu bunch can run Cinnamon, but AFAIK, no one has packaged it for
> Debian.
>
> Suggestions?

At the forums there is a success install reported:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76039&sid=5f678a70c70f1dd3106da45010681a90&start=15#p424163

But carefully read the Cinnamon readme for Debian:

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/blob/master/debian/README.Debian

Greetings,

--
Camaleón