Changes In udev?

In /dev cdrom4, cdrw4, dvd4 and dvdrw4 all point to sr1
and cdrom6, cdrw6, dvd6 and dvdrw6 all point to sr0

I just replaced a dying motherboard - the ethernet circuit failed - and
on boot up found the above soft links.  Perhaps this was changed in a
recent dist-upgrade and I only now noticed the changes.  Either way my
/dev/fstab file was out of date as it contained entries like

/dev/sca1	/media/cdrom1	udf,iso9660	user,noauto	0	0

so my dvdrw drives were not found.

In trying to identify the problem I found /dev/disk/by-name reported the
name of the cd in the drive.  /dev/bus contains a usb directory.
Previously there was a directory in /dev which would list the hard
drives in a directory by-uuid but I can't find this anymore.

Having found all this I have made changes in /etc/fstab and cdplay -d
/dev/sr0 will play a cd but there is no sound.  The sound system works,
an online video with sound plays perfectly.

Question: What are the best practice /etc/fstab entries given the
changes in /dev?

Tom