Re: problem with power button

On Sb, 19 mai 12, 06:13:14, Long Wind wrote:
> I install squeeze, the power button on front panel of PC works
> I can shutdown squeeze by pressing button
> but later it doesn't work, I'm not sure of the cause
> maybe it's caused by removing/reinstalling kernel
> that is, I remove the default kernel to install kernel 2.4
> kernel 2.4 doesn't look OK, so I install kernel 2.6.32-5-686
> every thing else works fine, except power button
> I have to enter "shutdown -h now"

AFAIR the power button is generating some ACPI events, which are then
interpreted by software to trigger some action (e.g. "shutdown -h now").

While experimenting with 2.4 did you:
- uninstall packages? (check apt/aptitude/dpkg logs)
- change BIOS options?
- ...

Just booting with another kernel (even if 2.4) should not trigger such
permanent changes unless files were corrupted (fsck ok?) or you damaged
your hardware (highly unlikely), but you might want to try completely
unplugging your computer.

Hope this helps,
Andrei