[OT] Re: how to practice.

On Fri, 18 May 2012 17:18:20 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

(you can start by remembering that you don't have to send html formatted
posts to mailing lists, at least for this :-P)

> Ok I have been working in IT network field since 7 years and just one
> and half year back i have started exploring Linux and I believe, someone
> said to me lately that if you start loving black and white terminal then
> you will never look back to Windows GUI. I literally can experience this
> thing at the stage I am standing with Linux. As I consider myself a
> newbie in Linux but according to my previous experience if i don’t
> practice I will forget things very easy (as there are tons of commands
> to remember which I will forget with less or 0 practice). so i am here
> to ask all the old Pros that how you guys manage to remember all the
> commands and practice all the previous work. Since after the deployment
> of some Linux services there is only the log which i have to see for
> further errors. So how it is possible to keep in my mind all the old
> stuff and along with that I can move forward with the new goals.

The best to avoid forgetting things is using them: forget about the X
server, forget the GUI (don't install them), jump to the console and work
for there.

Anyway, I as an admin, don't pay much attention in remembering the exact
commands and their related parameters (there's always the man page I can
quickly query) but I'm more interested in learning and applying new
computer concepts, good administering and managing techniques, I mean,
I'm more interested in *what* is the best to do than *how* to do it, so
for daily tasks I rely on Midnight Commander which helps me a lot with
the usual sysadmin's workflow.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón