Re: Dependency based boot sequencing and printers

Thanks to Claudius for his suggestions.    I've changed the subject of
this posting since the problem seems a bit wider than just Canon
printers.

On 15 May 2012 19:03, Claudius Hubig <debian_1205@chubig.net> wrote:
> Hello Rob,
>
> Rob Hurle <rob1940@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Further experiments on printing on the Canon printer through CUPS:
>>
>> >  The printer has stopped working!  I'm suspicious of the
>> > dependency-based sequencing since that was the only upgrade which
>> > mentioned the printer, but another one of the upgrades may well have
>> > disturbed the printing system.  Before I start the tedious debugging
>>
>> Manually stopping both daemons and then starting cupsd before the
>> Canon daemon ccpd brought everything back together again.  Now to
>> learn how to use dependency-based boot sequencing to have this done
>> automatically :-)  Anyone played with this already?
>
> You can have a look at the LSB headers in the ccpd package and add
> CUPS to the list of requirements. If you have done that already, I am
> out of luck :) – Nevertheless, posting your LSB headers here might
> not hurt.

I have attempted to use insserv to get the printer daemons running
after cupsd starts, with no success.  I have set up a file
/etc/insserv.d.conf/printers:

debianrob:/etc/insserv.conf.d# cat printers
#RJH
# Define $printers to be the CUPS daemon  (cupsd)
# Other printer daemons (at least, the Canon one) must start after
CUPS is running.
$printers              cups

The headers for my Canon printer daemon in init.d are:

debianrob:/etc/init.d# head -20 ccpd
#!/bin/sh
# startup script for Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS (ccpd)
# Modified for Debian GNU/Linux
#RJH 13 May 2012
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          ccpd
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog $printers
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start ccpd at boot time
### END INIT INFO
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/ccpd
LOCKFILE=/var/lock/subsys/ccpd
NAME=ccpd
DESC="Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS"

thus requiring $printers to be started before the Canon daemon.
However, it does not happen - the ccpd daemon always starts before
cupsd.  I have tried using both the name of the init.d file (cups) and
the name of the daemon which it runs (cupsd) in the definition of
$printers but the result is the same.

  Anyone got any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks heaps,
Rob Hurle

--
Rob Hurle