Re: creating /dev/dsp in a standard way

ok, so i was much too quick on the draw in posting this problem.

There's a sound faq for debian
   http://wiki.debian.org/SoundFAQ
which advises installing the package oss_compat.

I did
   sudo apt-get install oss_compat
and it created /dev/dsp, and snd and gnusound now
make a sound.

Sorry for the false alarm.

(Although --- when i did the installation, i got this error
message: "FATAL: Module snd_seq_oss not found."
Nevertheless, the return status of the apt-get command
was 0, the /dev/dsp device was created, and i can
now hear sound from those two programs i couldn't
hear from before.  All this just for reference in case
somebody stumbles across this post.)

dan