Re: Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT

On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:03:12 +0800, Hor wrote in message
<[🔎] 4FB25410.5050204@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> Would be grateful if anyone could provide feedback on the below,
> thanks.
>
> After installing proprietary driver
> amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run on Sid amd64, both console
> and X cannot be started. All was left after booting is a blinking "-"
> prompt.

..this isn't a kernel panic?
What happens _immediately_before_ your blinking dash?

> Xorg log as below.

..this is relevant only if it was written between your boot and your
blinking dash.

> I then ssh into this pc from another and removed this driver. Managed
> to get gnome 3 back but under fallback mode. Previously was able to
> be on gnome3 standard mode.

..your Xorg log is "gnome 3 under fallback mode"?

> package: Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64 Debian
> version: 3.2.17-1
>
> package: xserver-xorg-core:
> version: 2:1.12.1-2
>
> package: xorg-server
> version: 1:7.6+13
>
> package: fglrx-driver
> version: 1:12-4-1

..first things first: Does this "fglrx" driver even support
your card?

..please post your output of: 'lspci |grep VGA '.
If that shows an ATI card, we will probably want
to see your dmesg.

..what happens if you try use the "ati" driver instead?

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: