Re: Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT

On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:03:12 +0800, Hor Jiun Shyong wrote:

> Hi All,

Hi... but there's no need to send this twice and please, no html posts :-)

> Would be grateful if anyone could provide feedback on the below, thanks.

Okay, let's see if I can give you some hints. There are usually X gurus
around the list but let's do some tests until they can provide a more
insightful view on this issue :-)

> After installing proprietary driver
> amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run on Sid amd64, both console and
> X cannot be started. All was left after booting is a blinking "-"
> prompt. Xorg log as below.

Let me move up the fatal error:

> [ 312.888] Fatal server error:
> [ 312.888] xf86OpenConsole: Cannot find a free VT
> [ 312.888]
> [ 312.888]

That's weird... It's like the xserver is not able to allocate a virtual
console where to start X but I can't figure out what could be causing
this :-?

> I then ssh into this pc from another and removed this driver. Managed to
> get gnome 3 back but under fallback mode. Previously was able to be on
> gnome3 standard mode.

(...)

If gnome-shell cannot be started it usually means a problem regarding the
3D capabilities of the VGA driver (take a look at your "~/.xession-
errors" file). And what's the full X log now that you are using Debian
stock ATI closed driver?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón