Re: Sound on Lenny

Hello Lisi,

Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I know.  I shouldn't be using Lenny, and had in fact already tried to
> change to Squeeze, but had trouble with my mail, and reverted.
>
> But I am soon going to be installing on a new box, so am waiting until then.
>
> That's the excuses out of the way. ;-)
>
> Sound has disappeared.  I imagine that it has got muted somewhere, but can't
> find where.  My utter ignorance of audio systems doesn't help.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions?  Each and every one will be valued.

Do you run PulseAudio or plain ALSA? (Try ps auxw | grep pulse to
find out).

If the latter, you can view all mixers and mute buttons via

$ alsamixer

or another GUI mixer application. In alsamixer, you can move between
the mixers using the arrow keys. "m" mutes (small MM at the bottom)
or unmutes (green 00 at the bottom) the mixer. Those labeled Master
and PCM should be unmuted.

You might also have a hardware switch – they’re especially popular
with notebooks, but external speakers often also have them.

If you have external speakers, you might want to check that they’re
plugged in properly :)

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.
		-- Messiah's Handbook : Reminders for the Advanced Soul