Re: Having Mozilla Firefox as default web browser

On 2012-05-14 17:46 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:56:08 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
>
>> Following extensive upgrading of 1386 wheezy, I am unable to get easily
>> Mozilla Firefox as web browser. I have to commad with full path to its
>> installation.
>
> What's your desktop?
>
> Have you checked with "update-alternatives --list x-www-browser"?
>
>> Iceweasel is unable to treat Google Mail adequately.
>
> This is something that can be reported, should the error is consistent
> and fully reproducible.

AFAIK this is already known, and the problem is not the small difference
between Iceweasel and Firefox, but rather that Google (and several other
sites) have dropped support for Firefox 3.5 which is the base for
Iceweasel in Squeeze.

>> More importantly, Iceaweasel is unable to talk in/back with my
>> connections to certain scientific software.
>
> This can be also reported. Iceweasel and Firefox code are almost
> identical.
>
>> How to eliminate all web browser to leave Mozilla Firefox?
>
> I had to remove Icewasel to install Firefox. This can be done from
> Synaptic or the usual package managers (apt, aptitude).

It is also possible to obtain newer Iceweasel versions from
http://mozilla.debian.net/.

Cheers,
       Sven