Re: SOLIDWORKS

Csanyi Pal wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer-
aided_design_editors_for_architecture,_engineering_and_construction

> Such as BRL-CAD, FreeCAD, ...
> FreeCAD can be installed on Debian system from debian repository,

Yes, freecad aims to be an alternative to solidworks or inventor. The
project was started a few years ago and it makes good progress. But
there is still a very long way to go until its goal can be remotely
regarded as fullfilled .

> BRL-CAD can be installed from source.

brlcad is ancient software. Its interface was designed in the 1980s.
That is, it preceeds the invention of 3D mechanical CAD as we know it.
The UI implicitely assumes a text terminal and a plotter. There are
elements of a "modern" GUI but they don't quite blend with the general
cancept. The interface has a severe tendency to make simple tasks
complicated. I tried brlcad when I needed a 3D CAD application for
a straight-up real world design. However, it took me more than an
afternoon to put a cube on top of a sphere.

In the end, I settled for varicad. This is a commercial 3D CAD application
that was developed on/for linux. Its list of features is moderately
comprehensive. There is no much support for parametric design, though.
But the interface is quite intuitive.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak