Re: Things we should know about PGP

This is an interesting thread for me. I can see (I think!) the various
points that have been made, but as it is, I feel, it's mostly trivial.

If I write to this list, or others, or friends, or colleagues, why do
I need to identify myself? Or require someone to find my public key to
read or confirm what I've written?

If I need such cryptographic security only the people I wish to know
my public key will have it. For my personal secure connections et al,
I use Tails on a 16Gb usb stick.

Those who attach their public key to this list are the equivalent in
my book to those who append "humourous" signatures to their posts:
it's there, it's naff. it's ignored.

At end of the day, you believe what you want. My bank and other
important communications arrive through the post, and on line. If I
doubt it, I check it. I do the same with my public phone lines. and my
on-line use.

If you don't need to publicise your public key ( because, after all.
very few if any, are going to use it) don't add it to every e-mail,
along with an irrelevant "sig block" which does nothing except confirm
your self-esteem (Look at me, Ma, top of the world) and the opinion of
your readers which is probably the reverse of that which you hope and
believe.

Keep it simple, keep it sane, keep away from paranoia,  they're not
out get you (why should they be bothered?), keep a sense of
perspective ( vide The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" as to why
this may be a good idea).

Hi, again, Camaleon, long time!

Saki