Re: Wheezy: Can only play ogv video

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 04:44:02AM -0700, T Elcor wrote:
> --- On Fri, 5/11/12, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
>
> > Another thing that works is go to the mplayer homepage and
> > download one
> > of the codecs packages, extract the codecs, and put them in
> > /usr/lib/codecs (create it if it doesn't exist).
> > Then install mplayer.
>
> I just installed mplayer and it does play MP4 files in a kind of smallish window.

I always just use mplayer from the command line, it seems the best way
for me... YMMV.
Read "man mplayer", and edit ~/.mplayer/config appropriately.

>But that doesn't appear to affect KDE integrated DragonPlayer or Kmplayer, that is, they still don't play MP4s. Not sure how to get them to work. Thanks

My advice was not really meant to help with kde-specific stuff, as I know
nearly nothing about it. I was just trying to help you play videos.

There are certainly better newbie-friendly choices for desktop, BTW
(gnome and xfce come to mind).
Probably kde is best left to kde experts, or at least that was my impression
the few times I played around with it.

--
 Indulekha