Installing vimoutliner in wheezy?

Does anyone have any experience installing vimoutliner in Wheezy?

I've installed the vim-vimoutliner package. I've also followed the instructions in README.Debain and used vim-addons--I actually did it for both a system-wide and user account--but I still am not able to get it to work properly.  When testing the base functionality, as per ":h vo-testing", the syntax highlighting works, but I get the following error when I attempt to verify interoutline linking:

johnc@infotech:~$ vo_maketags vo_test.otl
Begin processing file /home/johnc/vo_test.otl.
print() on closed filehandle TAGFILE at /usr/bin/vo_maketags line 152, <OUTLINEFILE> line 6.
Creating /... no action: File exists.
Creating /home/... no action: File exists.
Creating /home/johnc/... no action: File exists.
Begin processing file /home/johnc/vo_newfile.otl.
sort: open failed: /home/johnc/.vimoutliner/vo_tags.tag: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/home/johnc/.vimoutliner/vo_tags.tag': No such file or directory
mv: cannot move `/home/johnc/temptagfile.tag' to `/home/johnc/.vimoutliner/vo_tags.tag': No such file or directory

I'm assuming this is because the installation did not create a .vimoutliner directory in my $HOME.

Attempting to Ctrl-K on the tag just produces a beep.

When I try a Ctrl-] (because the help says that Ctrl-K is a synonym for Ctrl-]) I get the following error:

E433: No tags file
E426: tag not found: _tag_newfile
Press ENTER or type command to continue

Also all the ,, commands just result in a beep. I tried "\", even though that supposedly hasn't been used since 2009 in the Debian version, but that also just beeps.

I'm guessing these are supposed to be controlled by whatever should be contained in my nonexistant .vimoutlinere/scripts directory?