Re: zfs-fuse or zfsonlinux

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:22:35AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2012 19:18:28 +0100, Jon wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20120509181828.GG8272@debian>:
>
> > On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 07:07:51PM +0100, Lists wrote:
> > > I'm looking at using ZFS for a box that will serve as a
> > > storage/backup box.  I'm aware of Debian/kFreeBSD, which seems to be
>
> ..if you're paranoid enough to worry about Debian/GNU Linux,
> you may also want to consider Debian/GNU Hurd as a third way
> to rescue your back-up data.

I don't understand your response, here, but I think you may have misunderstood
mine.

ZFS has been neatly integrated into FreeBSD and there are no license
incompatibilities.  Debian KFreeBSD is arguably the most reliable way to use
ZFS and Debian together. (The OP's question was based on the premise that they
definitely NEED ZFS. Perhaps they don't?)

Debian KFreeBSD is a supported architecture for Debian, so you aren't wandering
'off reservation' by doing this, and you would be with the various zfs-on-linux
projects.

However, if you are comfortable and familiar with administering Debian
GNU/Linux, you might be slightly wary of running KFreeBSD "on the metal".
Running it as a VM instead gives you the opportunity to use your familiar,
trusted OS on the "outside", but with the stable and supported ZFS system
on the "inside".