Re: Does anyone care about dialup?

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 04:55:40PM -0700, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
> songbird <songbird@anthive.com> writes:
> >  as to specifics why gnome-ppp doesn't work and
> >bugs that's the usual "volunteers do what interests
> >them."  if you want it fixed, get the code and fix
> >it.  if you want someone else to fix it, pay them.
>
> Yes, that seems to be the core of the issue. The people actually putting together these distros are sitting in well-wired offices and never bother to use dialup themselves, so it never occurs to them to test these parts of the system. Everything is in disarray. File permissions need changed, config files need to be edited. It's raw development work that should be done before the ISO image for the distro is even created.

The file permissions issue is *very* minor, takes seconds to identify
and resolve.
And of course, needing to edit config files is perfectly normal, the devs
aren't psychic and there are many different hardware setups.

Also I think lots of people are using ppp, because that's what you need
to connect through a cell modem.
I personally appreciate that Debian is more flexible/powerful than
idiot-proof, that's one of the major reasons I choose to use it.
YMMV...
--
 Indulekha