Re: Only 3.6gb of 64gb RAM recognized by 64bit squeeze

On Wed, 9 May 2012 11:19:10 +0200, Seyyed wrote in message
<[🔎] CAKJMja+mrpWmo8uhakjGfwsuk3W0=+A6LMBhFvXKKFCtErf6_w@mail.gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Before anybody starts arguing that I don't have 64-bit, this is uname
> -r and uname -m:
> root@n03:~# uname -r
> 2.6.32-3-amd64
> root@n03:~# uname -m
> x86_64
>
> As the subject suggest I have a box that does not utilize the
> available RAM installed. I noticed that only 3.6gb RAM was recognized
> when I got segmentation faults during a simulation.
> The funny thing is that when I remove dims so that only 48gb RAM is
> available then it works fine, I did a 'lshw -C memory' and it shows
> all the dims at the correct spot (the output is attached). BIOS and
> memtest show and successfully test all 64gb.

..post a one core snip of your /proc/cpuinfo, I'm wondering
if you've hit some 36 bit address space ceiling.  I have ...
root@celsius:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz
bogomips        : 3989.93
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

...and:
root@celsius:~# qalc 2^36bytes to GiBytes
(2^36) * byte = 64 gibibytes

> Hope somebody can help me fix this, I cannot think of anything that
> could cause this
>
> Best regards,
> Mohtadin

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: