Re: gpg/pgp noise

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 02:11:32PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 08 May 2012 05:43:17 -0500, Indulekha wrote:
>
> > I'm getting this with most gog/pgp-signed mails received from this list
> > (using mutt):
> >
> > [-- PGP output follows (current time: Tue 08 May 2012 05:35:27 AM CDT) --]
> > gpgkeys: key 7356B378DEA22DE9 not found on keyserver
> > gpg: Signature made Tue 08 May 2012 02:04:44 AM CDT using RSA key ID DEA22DE9
> > gpg: requesting key DEA22DE9 from ldap server keyserver.pgp.com
>
> And that's true. That key does not exist in the server.
>
> > gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> > gpg: Total number processed: 0
> > gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
> > [-- End of PGP output --]
> >
> > [-- The following data is signed --]
> >
> > PGP signature could NOT be verified.
> > ---------------------------------------
>
> So what's wrong? I think all of the above is okay.
>
> > My public key has been published,
>
> Is it your own signature key? Then some step is missing or you made
> something wrong.
>
> > and I followed the exact procedure I used last time in muttrc to make
> > this crap work.
>
> If you think GPG/PGP is "crap", I wonder why is that you are using it.
>
> > Am I powerless over other peoples' misconfigured gpg here, or does this
> > indicate some error on my part?
>
> Most probably, the latter.
>
> > Anyone know a way to simply filter out all that annoying gpg/pgp noise?
>
> (...)
>
> IIRC, Mutt does not automatically verifies the signatures unless you
> explicitly configure to do it so. Just disable that option.

Yes, it's always so simple to fix it in mutt when you don't
actually use mutt. ;)
Fortunately, this is now solved-- thanks to Jochen Spieker's
generously sharing his .mutt/display-filter recipe.
Hopefully, more people found this whole thread useful than were
offended, frightened, or confused by it...
I know I STFW long and hard, and the filters stubbornly eluded
me for several days.

--
 Indulekha