Re: Panning the screen to get an usable GNOME desktop in netbooks

On Mon, 07 May 2012 14:33:49 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 01:22:14PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Yup, I also tried with "xrandr --output LVDS1 --rotate right" -which
>> works- but from there is very hard to direct the mouse to the right
>> place, i.e., it's unmanageable.
>

> Do you have an xorg.conf?

No, that's deprecated since Squeeze. But I can try it :-)

> If so, does it set a virtual screen size?
>
> SubSection "Display"
>    Virtual 1024 768

Okay, let's see what happens. First, I let xserver generates the
xorg.conf for me:

service gdm3 stop
Xorg -configure

It outputs an error¹ an the file is not generated (oh, well, this can be
something to report).

Okay, let's try another command:

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Which makes nothing... no change, no questions, no file :-?

Okay, I will generate the file manually:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
  		SubSection "Display"
    			Depth 24
    			Virtual 3000 2000
  		EndSubSection
EndSection

When starting gdm3 I only get a black screen with the GNOME cursor but
nothing more. And I can't jump to a tty so I have to force a shutdown.
So, unless I have a way to generate a workable "xorg.conf" file, I cannot
try :-)

¹ Error: "(...) Number of created screens does not match number of
detected devices. Configuration failed. Server terminated with error (2).
Closing log file."

Greetings,

--
Camaleón