Re: Does anyone care about dialup?

--- On Tue, 5/8/12, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Does anyone care about dialup?
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Tuesday, May 8, 2012, 2:31 AM
> It may also be a problem with your
> service provider -- I had a problem
> (back when I still used PPP) where the connection was
> getting dropped
> mysteriously, and [after much frustration trying to figure
> out what
> was happening] it turned out my provider didn't support TCP
> header
> compression; turning off that feature in PPP made everything
> work.
>
> Apparently windows PPP clients didn't use header
> compression, so they
> didn't consider it an issue ...
>
> -miles

I had two ISPs and both had the identical problem.  After YEARS of having a solid connection suddenly, it was just dying to nothing.  It wouldn't disconnect. Just no data coming in after a short time.  MCI 'supervisor' said they only guaranteed a voice connection not data.  They use ATT lines and even MCI couldn't get a satisfactory solution from them.  This is the way corporations fragment 'support' to make it meaningless.