Re: Does anyone care about dialup?

On 08/05/12 08:16, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
> Why is it so difficult to get dialup to work in Linux?

I hadn't noticed it was difficult.... neither dialup as a protocol or
the using your specific modem and dialup.

<snipped>

Is this a request for assistance or just a rant?

> Since KDE 4 is such a hog

Huh?
Last time I checked (about a week ago) it used less resources than GNOME.

<snipped>

What bugs in wvdial?

> It is necessary to disable carrier detect to prevent instant loss
> of a connection. In both of them.

No. That is incorrect.

> Yes, the only way to stay online with
> Gnome-ppp and wvdial is to NOT watch carrier status.

Again, that is incorrect. The cause is well known and trivial to
rectify. (hint: AT+MS=34)

> So why is this
> function even there if it is useless?

Because you misunderstand the problem due to your commitment to the
belief that no one cares and "everything is broken".

> Or why hasn't it been FIXED if it
> is needed?

The logic behind the question is flawed.

> Is Gnome-ppp still being maintained? Also, Gnome-ppp doesn't
> understand more than one dialer entry in the wvdial.conf file.

Why would GNOME-ppp have anything to do with wvdial? (it uses pppd, just
like kppp).

<snipped>

> You have to disable all forms of
> compression or your connection will mysteriously stop working after only
> a few minutes.

Incorrect.
I've never experienced this (and I use dialup - all wireless 3G USB
modems *are* dialup).

> I remember this problem from my 1996 experiment with
> Linux. It has something to do with loss of "sync" between the remote and
> the local systems.

No.

<snipped>

> Does anyone working on Linux care about dialup? Some people do still
> have uses for it, and some even depend on it.

SoftLink modem requires a proprietary driver. It's slow, and clunky, but
it's not hard to configure.

Did you read any of the fine documentation on how to configure your
modem? eg.:-
http://wiki.debian.org/slmodem

Make sure you include:-
Init3 = AT+MS=34
or you'll be plagued with "no carrier" errors.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-