[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Solved Edgeport8 usb-RS-232 Converter Firmware Squeeze

> "computer.enthusiastic" writes:
>There are other possible solutions.
>One solution is to install the linux-firmware package from the ubuntu
>repository (note that thereafter you can't  anymore install the
>firmware packages from debian repositories due to conflicts). For
>example, you could type the following commands as the root user:
>    aptitude remove firmware-linux firmware-linux-free 
> firmware-linux-nonfree
>    wget 
> http://mirror.pnl.gov/ubuntu//pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb
>    dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb

	I tried the second suggestion

>The other solution is to manually install the firmware files from the
>ubuntu package. For example, you could type the following commands as
>the root user:
>   aptitude install firmware-linux
>   mkdir tmp
>   cd tmp
>   wget 
> http://mirror.pnl.gov/ubuntu//pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb
>   ar x linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb
>   tar xf data.tar.gz
>   cp -rv lib/firmware/edgeport/ /lib/firmware/

The whole operation including moving the serial cables back to
the converter, watching the now correct output on the syslog and
successfully trying the executables I had written to access the
scanner radios took about 25 minutes. They worked exactly as
they always have once again.

	Thank you for the suggestions and the learning

In another message on this same thread,
keith writes:
> Seems to me you need to get these 2 files :
> edgeport/down.fw
> edgeport/boot.fw
> (Put them in /lib/firmware)
> (If you still have copies of your original files, they would most likely 
> work)

	I actually do have those files and they are probably the
very same files hopefully containing all the libraries statically
linked but I wasn't sure when this all started where they went.
I actually had figured out that they most likely went in to
/lib/firmware after doing a global find on firmware but I wasn't
sure what was safe to try yet.

	All in all, this has been a great teachable moment and
I am happy to say that that paperweight with wires attached to
it lives again.

Reply to: