Re: LightDM in Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204

07.05.2012 13:04, Ralf Mardorf kirjoitti:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 11:00 +0200, an unknown sender wrote:
>> On 07/05/12 12:57, Jason Hsu wrote:
>>> Has anyone been able to get LightDM to work properly in the
>>> latest release of Linux Mint Debian Edition (201204)?
>>
>> <snipped>
>>

>> This is Debian *not* Mint.
>>

>> Do we post Linux Mint for assistance when Debian breaks or we're
>> too lazy to ask in the right place?
>>

>> Try:- http://forums.linuxmint.com/
>>

>> Kind regards
>
> The problem is that some Mint is based on Ubuntu and some Mint is
> based on Debian. On their homepage there's a huge "block print"
> saying "Debian Powered". Their forums aren't helpful. For me it's
> ok to ask on that list. At the moment I'm testing several distros
> to find some that fit best to my needs. I'll set up a pro audio
> machine. I dropped Mint Lisa on my machine, since it wasn't only
> bad for pro audio usage, it IMO has to much bugs in general. People
> IMO shouldn't use media from computer magazines or editions that
> are only known for their flashy layouts.

Linux Mint has two editions. The normal edition is based on Ubuntu,
but it's still not Ubuntu. The Debian Edition is based on Debian
testing (Wheezy), but isn't Debian either.
Being based on something doesn't automatically make it what it's based
on. They ship different software by default and might have done
multiple changes to the distribution where it's based on.

> You should use a "real" Ubuntu ore a "real" Debian and than ask for
> help on the list that fit to your distro.

Or whatever distribution you want to use. Linux Mint has a mailing
list http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=73603 .

> Go with Debian stable from the Debian stable media, if the
> software versions do fit to your needs. E.g. does some outdated
> packages anyway fit to new hardware you're using? Go with Ubuntu
> from the Ubuntu Studio media, if you need more up to date packages
> and you want a more reliable distro, but e.g. Debian testing, but
> without Unity.
>
> YMMV!
>
> Ubuntu Studio for example isn't something like Mint, Ubuntu Studio
> are meta packages provided by the Ubuntu repositories, not by third
> party repositories. It's not really a tuned audio distro.
>
> What ever distro you'll use, take care that it has got a large
> community, such as the Ubuntu or Debian community. IOW, even if
> it's not official supported, it shouldn't deviate to the original
> distro by tons of special third party packages, but only be an
> assembly of packages from the original distro.
>
> If you really need a special distro, with a small community, e.g.
> EMC2 to get a CNC machine working, than use a multi-boot. EMC2 for
> the CNC machine and another distro, e.g. Debian stable for your
> averaged computer usage.
>
> If you've got special needs, google for a Linux community sharing
> your needs and ask what distros most of them prefer.
>
> For example http://lmgtfy.com/?q=LightDM+mailing+list On that list
> you could ask if somebody "get LightDM to work properly in the
> latest release of Linux Mint Debian Edition", Arch Linux, Debian
> stable and openSUSE.
>
> Regards, Ralf

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A  AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728
http://mkaysi.github.com/