Re: Edgeport8 usb-RS-232 Converter Firmware Squeeze

"computer.enthusiastic" writes:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=tree;f=firmware/edgeport;h=4f9edc29bc637fed68314a3141595c99eab26a36;hb=HEAD

	Oh boy. another download tool. I use the command line on
this system. Which jit do I need or is there any other way to
download this tree?

	Does one just make the modules?
	For now, I have "fixed" the immediate problem by moving
the two systems I control most often from the Edgeport to the
two serial ports on the mother board which are free right now
and work fine. The Edgeport is officially in paperweight status
until I have a few more hours to get that source tree and have
another round with this seemingly endless quest.

	The free kernel is really a great idea and I am not
griping about that, but this is a wrinkle in the new system.

	In a later message you said,

>There are other possible solutions.
>One solution is to install the linux-firmware package from the ubuntu
>repository (note that thereafter you can't  anymore install the
>firmware packages from debian repositories due to conflicts). For
>example, you could type the following commands as the root user:
>    aptitude remove firmware-linux firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree
>    wget http://mirror.pnl.gov/ubuntu//pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb
>    dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb

Hmm. That's a possibility.

>The other solution is to manually install the firmware files from the
>ubuntu package. For example, you could type the following commands as
>the root user:
>   aptitude install firmware-linux
>   mkdir tmp
>   cd tmp
>   wget http://mirror.pnl.gov/ubuntu//pool/main/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb
>   ar x linux-firmware_1.79_all.deb
>   tar xf data.tar.gz
>   cp -rv lib/firmware/edgeport/ /lib/firmware/

	I take it that would not break later Debian updates? If
so, that sounds like a plan.

	Thanks!

Martin McCormick