Re: netinst.iso - a "learning experience"- Part 1 grub

On 06/05/12 12:01 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 04:36:05PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 15:40 +0200, an unknown sender wrote:
Using Grub Legacy is attractive.
    How complex would the change be?
Remove GRUB 2 and install GRUB Legacy. That's it.

    In the future would an "update" or "upgrade" try to move
me back to GRUB2?
I don't think so.

Quite possibly. Grub legacy is not maintained to the same extent.
I think you'd need a dist-upgrade to replace grub with grub2. A regular upgrade simply updates existing packages on your system. A dist-upgrade replaces obsolete packages with their current equivalents.

You could of course "hold" grub to prevent it from being replaced.

I know that part of "advantage" of GRUB2 is handling newer
hardware/technology. I would have to check to see if that
would be helpful to me in near future.
I didn't know about that.

- Ralf

Grub2 is, potentially, the way forward not just for Debian but
for other Linux distributions.

If you've a working GRUB2 - you're fine for a few years yet :)

Just my 0.02

AndyC

Agreed. Going back to grub from grub2 seems pointless. However, I do note that one advantage grub had over lilo was that you didn't need to update your grub install each time you installed a kernel upgrade the way you did with lilo. Grub2 changes that - you have to update-grub frequently, although that is done automatically by apt after upgrades that affect the boot process.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work properly on Squeeze. I have a system that uses mdadm with v1.2 headers, allowing partitions within a RAID partition, so that my / partition is /dev/md1p1. /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.cfg use UUIDs but the update-grub puts in the wrong UUID - the one for /dev/md1 instead of /dev/md1p1. I have to manually correct that each time. If I don't, the system won't boot.

Fortunately, it's fixed on Wheezy but I don't run Wheezy on servers.